Microsoft has announced that support for Windows XP ends April 8th, 2014. Running Windows XP after support ends would expose CSUMB to security risks and viruses because Microsoft will no longer be providing security updates to protect your PC.
- Support for machines running Windows XP at CSUMB will end on 12/31/2013
- Any machine running Windows XP at CSUMB must be retired, replaced or upgraded to Windows 7 by 03/31/2014
We are working to identify the remaining Windows XP machines and those machines will need to be re-imaged, replaced or retired by 03/31/2014:
As of 02/01/2014, there were approximately 50-machines running Windows XP that are compatible with Windows 7. We have created service tickets for these users and machines so they can be re-imaged with a Windows 7 loadset. The complete list of machines slated for re-imaging is here. If you see your asset on the list, you are welcome to call the Help Desk at x4357 to schedule your re-image (don't worry, we will be contacting you). To ensure you are ready for your re-image, please review Re-Image Appointment Day Preparation.
If you have a computer that is running Windows XP that is no longer supported (see the "Hardware Support Levels" section below), your computer may be eligible for replacement through the Computer Replacement Program. The program covers general fund (State) full-time staff/faculty positions and some shared machines. Corporation, grant and self-funded areas are not covered by the program and would need to purchase replacement computers.
If you have a computer running Windows XP that is no longer functional, no longer needed, not capable of running a Windows 7 loadset or not eligible for replacement, it will need to be retired and removed from service no later than 03/31/2014. If you need equipment picked up, please submit a Hardware>Move service ticket and list the equipment you want picked up.
Hardware Support Levels
You can see if the computer you have is supported (if it's supported, it will work with Windows 7) by checking the Hardware Support Level page against the model sticker on your computer. In this example, the model is a dc7100 and not supported, so it will need to be replaced or retired by 03/31/2014.
Employees MUST be present for the scheduled appointment. If not, the appointment will need to be rescheduled to a later date.
Before the time of appointment, employees must:
- Copy all browser bookmarks and favorites
- Copy all files from the C:/ to either MyDocs (J:/ ) or CSUMB INFO
- Clear work area around computer and printer (if applicable)
Employees can expect the following from the IT Technician:
- Arrival at the confirmed appointment time (or a call to indicate a change in schedule)
- Disconnect existing computer and periphrials (e.g. scanners & printers)
- Installation of reimaged computer and connection to peripherals
- Confirmation that the computer connects to the CSUMB network.
- Confirmation that printers are set up to print